The Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen, Denmark invites applications for a four-year position as assistant professor in Balkan Studies to be filled by 1 February 2012 or as soon possible thereafter.
The Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies works with languages, cultures, religion and society, primarily in the world outside Western Europe and the US. Cross-cultural competences and knowledge of the complexity of the world are of vital importance in the globalised world - politically, economically, and culturally.
In evaluating applications focus will be placed on documented research in culture, language and/or social studies in the contemporary Balkans. Applicants should be able to document a command of either Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian (BCS) or Bulgarian. A knowledge of both would be an advantage. Applicants' research should demonstrate originality, innovative approaches to the subject along with methodological and theoretical reflection. Applicants should further demonstrate their involvement in or planning of research collaboration.
In teaching applicants should be prepared to cooperate with colleagues in Modern Greek Studies, Turkish and Eastern European Studies and be willing to contribute to a number of the Department's general and cross-cultural courses. The successful applicant will be required to participate actively in the
activities of the section and of the Department in general.
For further information, please contact Head of Department Ingolf Thuesen at
An assistant professorship is a fixed-term academic position involving research and teaching. The successful applicant must have research qualifications on at least Ph.D. level. The person appointed to the post will be obliged to complete a course in university teaching devised especially for assistant professors, and is expected to be able to take part in all the activities of the Department, including examinations and administration.
At the end of the four-year period, provided the appropriate funding is secured, a post of associate professor will be advertised for which the assistant professor may apply. Emphasis will be placed on the following
academic and personal qualifications:
- Research qualifications, which will be assessed in relation to the period of active research and the degree of originality and production
- The applicant's scientific record, academic breadth and depth, rigour, thoroughness and accuracy as well as academic relevance in relation to the advertisement for the position
- Documented teaching qualifications
- Documented administrative qualifications
For further details about the qualification requirements, please refer to Circular no. 9427 of 13 June 2007 concerning the job structure for academic staff http://www.ubst.dk/lovgivning/personalejura-medarbejdere/ny_stillingsstruktur_eng.pdf/view?searchterm=None
Applications must be submitted online in Adobe PDF or Word format. Please click on the "Apply online" icon at the bottom of the page. Please note that each field in the application form can only contain 1 file of 20Mb max. The application must be written in English and include the following enclosures:
- Application letter/cover letter
- Appendix 1: CV
- Appendix 2: Documentation of qualifications (examination certificates/PhD diploma, etc.)
- Appendix 3: Complete and numbered list of publications. The enclosed publications must be marked with *
- Appendix 4: Research plan, including a short description of previous research and a plan for the coming years, that includes an account of involvement in organising research, establishment of research seminars, symposia and congresses etc.
- Appendix 5: Documentation of teaching qualifications and research dissemination (organisation of classes, materials, courses and other forms of teaching).
- Appendix 6: Publications. Applicants may choose a maximum of three publications for assessment, of which at least two of the selected works must have been published within the five years immediately preceding the deadline for applications. Publication dates must be clearly marked on the publication list. The publications selected must be uploaded as attachments and numbered from 1-3.
Only material in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, English, German and French can be expected to be assessed.
All material will be shredded at the end of the appointment procedure.
After the application deadline, the Dean will set up an expert assessment committee to evaluate applicants specifically in relation to the advertised position. The applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee, and each candidate will have the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment relating to themselves before the appointment is finalised. Please refer to ministerial order no. 284 of 25 April 2008 concerning the appointment of academic staff at universities ministerial order http://www.ku.dk/regel/2/2031.html.
Salary and conditions of employment
The post will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited abroad, http://ism.ku.dk/taxes.
All applicants are encouraged to apply, irrespective of personal background.
The closing date for applications is 23.59, 22 November 2011 CET.
Please quote reference number 211-0469/11-4550 in your application letter.