Update: See the newer bookmarklet for Yiddish dictionaries, keyboard input and transliteration.
This bookmarklet transliterates Yiddish web pages from Hebrew to Latin script according to the YIVO-rules.
Click here to try the bookmarklet: DEMO
אַ שפּראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמיי און פֿלאָט (German: "Eine Sprache ist ein Dialekt mit einer Armee und Flotte"; English: "A language is a dialect with an army and navy")
- Read more about what bookmarklets are.
- The bookmarklets virtually work with any browser on almost any web site except on Facebook.
- Hebrew script often ignores vowels, so these must be added on by the reader of the transliterated Yiddish text.
- Script represented with images will not be transliterated. Please also note that Hebrew numerals (see Geresh/Gershayim) will not be transliterated as numbers, but as letters.
- The transliteration may take a couple of seconds. Reload the page in order to cancel the transliteration.
- As you might see in the demo, the bookmarklet has also influence on the display of Latin characters: Some letters disappear, some other capitalizations are being lost.